Ya know, I have got to rent that game sometime soon... but it has be the GameCube version.
There actually are GameCube versions of it. Hmm... that reminds me, I'm pretty sure you can get the game for cheap at Wal-Mart. The reason being is that with the Wii comming out to replace the GameCube, the games are going to be cheaper. I sorta discovered that this week when I wanted to experiment with the backwards compatability of my Wii.
Why is everyone getting a Wii? ): I'm just waiting until GTA4 comes out for the PS3 before I get mine.
Don't be Wii! Get a PS3, people! XD
Reasons for a Wii get:
- The technology: Hey! Any clod can make a standard controller and just plug it in to the counsol and there you go. The PS3 is NO exception. The Wii however has a Wiimote and takes the controller further than any other counsol right now. It's actually a giant step forward in to virtual reality (And a step forward to creating the Holodeck for real!) I mean what other counsol controller makes you get up and play virual baseball or make it feel like you're drawing a real sword and fighting with it?
- The creativity: Going hand-in-hand with the technology side, the idea of stepping outside the box and designing a controller that we've never really seen before and changing the way we game is BIG. The PS3 never did that. With Sony, there's NO origionality or creativity points there.
- The design: Okay... fine. Another reason why I like it is because it remind me of a Mac. But that aside, it's smaller and less bulkier than the other counsols. Bigger isn't always better. The Wii, I'm highly impressed with because it packs a lot of power for something that small! It really shows off today's technology and where its' headed. The PS3? Well.... again, Sony loses this round.
- The sale: Did you know that the Wii OUTSOLD the PS3? Yup! It's true!
- The intelligance: The creators of the Wii were VERY smart. Why? Because unlike most counsols and their advertising campaings, the Wii has NO GENDER BIAS. Meaning you will attract more female gamers and tap in to a market that few dare to go. This means more units sold thus making them successful. How did they eliminate the bias? Well... the name change for starters. If it was called the Revolution still (And I do admit, it is a revolution and a giant step forward over other counsols) women wouldn't exactly buy it because the name would have turned them off. But calling it the Wii elimiates the gender bias in the name. Besides, if the counsol can turn my mother in to a gamer (and she almost NEVER played any video games since she finished Jurassic Park for PC in the early 90s when it first came out!) then it gets kudos in my book. No gender-bias = bigger sales! The PS3 however has a HUGE gender bias which angles and sides more with the traditional male gamer point of view therefore it doesn't sell as well because you've pretty much turned off 50% of the population. So women won't buy it too much or play around with it. Pretty stupid on Sony's part to NOT tap that market. Also.... the name "Wii" may sound stupid, but because it sounds stupid, you're going to remember it better than something like PS3 or some wonkey name with letters and numbers in it.
-The fittness: The Wii ENCOURAGES excersize. Matter of fact, in the game that they package with the Wii, Wii sports, they include a fitness test in the game (Which for a fitness test, it's actually rather fun.) The PS3? Er..... unless you were playing DDR on it, I don't think "fitness" is PS3's middle name. >.> <.<
-The TV: Okay... they've even featured the Wii on the Discovery Channel in an article. The PS3 got NO SUCH THING. Sure, they could probably get on Tech TV or something, but that doesn't really count because ANYTHING can get on there as long as it's tech related. Of course the PS3 is going to be on there! But on the Discovery Channel.... well.... that makes the Wii kinda special, doesn't it? ^^;;
-The potenital useage: I can see the Wii actually being used in the medical field because of the fact that it DOES encourage excersize right out of the box. You can probably use it in certain types of therapies and so forth. The PS3 is really only good at one thing and doesn't even get this far!
So what does this mean for PS3? Well.... the only thing I can really see that it has going for it is that games and that's it. And even then, that's NOT going to last long as more games are comming out for both counsols. For me, the Wii has so much going for it which pretty much makes me sit in awe here. It's a step forward and going where no counsol has gone before (Really!) and a step towards having a holodeck in our living rooms (Which is what Apple and even NASA has been trying to achieve for the longest time!)
Now if you're questioning my logic, I actually based this argument for the Wii on the psychology of perception (Which was a course I took last year), a scientific TV show called "How William Shattner Changed the World," Discovery Channel, and a whole hord of other research as well. So yeah... it's well educated. ^^;
Anyways, back to Fierano's art! ^^ (And sorry about the topic deviation..... ^^;;; )
- The technology: Whose bright idea was it to have a controller shaped like THAT AND have a rumbler function for a system whose name reeks of euphemisms? And you're swinging it around, for crying out loud! I mean, it's nice if you're a woman but men who use that controller long enough are bound to question their own sexuality sooner or later, and prolonged exposure will have that controller ending up in places that I can't describe without getting negative karma or a good scolding. Like jammed into the plasma screen.
As for the PS3, its technological capability has only yet to be put to its WMD-grade potential...
- The creativity: See "The Technology" for my opinion on the creativity of the Wii controller.. The PS controller may not be entirely innovative in its third iteration, but that's because it's a time-honored shape that has proved aesthetically pleasing over the generations, unlike the HUGE Xbox controller or that Wii...thingy...
- The Potential Usage/Fitness: I'll concede to DDR because it's being used in P.E. programs across the country, but the people who attend those programs are those who'd likely play Wii Sports than, say, go to a sporting goods store, spend the money they could've used on Wii Sports on a soccer ball and cleats, and head on out to the local field and have some REAL physical fun with some REAL friends.
God, I'm lonely.
- The design: Don't get me going like a broken record on the Wii's design. Especially that controller.
- The sale: Only because the Wii already came out with a solidly-backed Nintendo lineup at launch, and some nutjob up in Sony management decided to jack UP the price of the PS3 in other parts of the world. (It came out for $1200 in my country. Really. At least we share the same Blu-ray region as America and Japan, so I can import it here for much less. ) The REAL games for the PS3 don't start coming out until later this year, and each one of them comes from a lineage that betrayed Nintendo. Prince of Persia on the Wii? That's relegation, not promotion.
- The intelligence: Do many women really play games? No, most of them are out making a real difference in the world or trying to date guys with better systems (or otherwise hanging out with "men" who get Wiis to try to appear sensitive to women or really are wusses.) I'm sorry if that's so un-PC, but sometimes the truth HURTS. And you misspelled intelligence, so that also says a lot. ;3 And getting back to familiar time-honored acronyms, the public already memorized PS1/PSX and PS2, what's an incremental change in number?
And it doesn't surprise me that there's..."questionable" content that may be made for these systems. The central core gamer demographic is deprived in that manner, you know.
-The TV: Only because the Wii's got that wacky controller. It's a novelty item that I'll admit is also shaped a bit like a traditional TV remote, which is a clear sign of our future evolutionary fusion with our couches.
So what's in the future? The PS3 is pretty much where the PS2 was in that relative point in time. If there's any progress toward us all ending up in the real Matrix, the PS3 is IT. I respect the 360, but its head-start means its capabilities will be maxed out prematurely.
As for the handheld wars...the DS only holds the upper hand because of Pokémon. *squeeeeeeeeeeeecharcharmeleon* They'll NEVER make a full Pokémon RPG for a console because it'll deprive Pokémon of the one thing that makes it stand out - its capability to enhance social contact.
And if you really want to know what the ultimate gaming platform is...
BUT I DIGRESS!
Back to the art, I actually found a quick sketch of Glimmer that I made a while back. Actual drawing coming soon. n.=.n
Firstly, HELOOOOooooo! Woman gamer here since the C64! Women DO game! Give me one of those fighting games or those racing games and I will totally hand your butt to you on a silver platter - GURANTEED.
So, my fine European friend, now that you've peaked my interest with the cut of your jib, you've got me in debate mode! XD
So okay.... here's what's shaking:
- WOMAN DO GAME! We game quite a fair bit and we enjoy it. But ignoring us as being 50% of the market - VERY stupid. That, my friend, is NOT taking a good advantage of the market. By marketing to that population too, you've increased sales. Proof is in the launch sales! Also.... proof is in the shopping malls too! I've walked though quite a few of them... especially in the electronics section where I do most of my Geekery. I can see boxes of unsold PS3s. But Wiis? Not a single one in sight? Why? Because they're SOLD OUT! Everytime a new shippment comes in, they're bought out in a matter of hours... or wait..... scratch that! Matter of minutes! Proof that targetting both male and female populations is an intelligant move. Yes.... woman DO game. DON'T kid yourself.... unless you want the one woman gamer talking to you right now to ready some weapons of mass destruction... Because you know.... I like it when things go BOOM! Okay... anyways, we woman DON'T date men for their counsols. We have other WAY BETTER reasons than that. And while we do go out and make differences, what's preventing us from going home at the end of the day and enjoying kicking some monster's butt in Zelda? Obviously..... NOTHING. If that's the picture you have of women and women as gamers, well.... you've just met one and talking to one.... who's single (And doesn't care weither she is or not) with REAL friends.... who has a life who is FAR from that idea. Actually.... most women gamers are FAR from that idea. Soo.... *Pats Fierano on head*
- Well.... if you have such a HUGE problem with the Wiimotes, they also offer up a classic game pad too. But if it's about the rumble feature.... your cell phone also has a "rumble" feature... more commonly known as a "Vibrate" feature. Is your cell phone questioning male sexuality? Is it questioning anyone's? Not really. If you have a problem with it going through a TV screen, there's a simple answer for that - Bring the sensor bar forward, you step backwards AWAY from the TV set and follow the on screen instructions which is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO PEOPLE OR OBSTICALS NEAR YOU WHEN YOU PLAY! If someone can't read that, they should find someone to read it to them and follow them. It's that simple. Why do you think they include instruction manuals with these things? They don't provide them just for fun... they are there to be read so the consol (Or any consoul for that matter) can be properly used. Besides, that Wiimote is incredibly versatile! In nunchuk mode, it can be boxing gloves, sword and shield.... ect. But even as just a stand-alone Wiimote, you can use it like a channel switcher, but you can also use it like a standard gamepad too from time to time. I know Cars for the Wii does this. PS3 controllers only go one way, my friend, and no where nearly as fun.
- As for fitness, er.... news for you! PS3 doesn't even have that anymore because DDR is comming out for the Wii (And of course.... I'm totally psyched for it) More to the Holodeck experiance! The Wii is the real world equivalant of the holodeck WHICH Apple has been trying to do for YEARS which Nintendo managed to get steps closer in. And as for the Wiimote being the future of couch potatos, I HIGHLY doubt it. Why? It encourages one to GET UP and MOVE AROUND. So how can you call THAT a couch potato if they're up and doing physical activity. As for getting up and getting sports equipment... well.... not EVERYONE lives close to a gym or has a lot of money to smack down to get a gym membership, a whole hord of sports equipment or a hell of a lot of time to get out to one of these things. For those of us with busy lives, the Wii is a good solution for that. I am one such person with a lot of busyness happening in my life and really can't go out to a gym. I'm also short on cash. But a Wii is cheap enough for me to buy that allows me a little bit of physical activity in the middle of a busy work week. The one key thing you forgot was that a lot people are like this and encouraging them to head out to a gym is a flying pain. They don't wanna do it. But when you put it in the form of a game on an inventive new consol, people will actually use it. It's cheap, convinent, and just plain fun.
- Okay.... the games out right now for the Wii and those slated to come out look awesome. I'm already pining over Wii Play, Trauma Center, Red Steel, And that new Metroid game looks totally cool! But I've also played Zelda, Wii Sports, and Cars which were also nothing short of awesome! I dare you to play Zelda on the Wii and NOT say that it wasn't cool. Oh! Wait! Double dare you! Wait! Wait! TRIPLE dare you! XD
- I can pick up my Wii, put it in my book bag (Only the size of three DVD cases.... not that big!) and head out to a friend's place or something and rock out with it there. PS3 is way too big to do that with.
- I can use the Wiimotes like a 3D mouse with my PC. And 3D mice are hard to come by! ARG! Flying pain to look for! But the Wiimote - ideal solution to us 3D graphic Designer nerds. I can't use a PS3 controller like that!
- Okay... so the Wii is a funny name. We joke about it a lot at work BUT we remember it! And years down the road when we actually have our holodecks, we will look back at it, REMEMBER the name and say "Yeah.... I remember it! God! Did it ever have a funny name! But it sure rocked my socks!" It's actually VERY intelligant and sorta shows a bit of a sense of humor on Nintendo's part. To be able to laugh is the sign of intelligance. PS3, while it does have that lineage behind it, what if it were to stand alone...? Would just the name PS3 stand up to the test? No. How about E5614A as a consol name? No. PS3 just won't stand up as well.
- Virtual Consol! That's something that the Wii has right out of the box. So not only can I play GameCube games on it but some of those old classics too like the games from SNES, Sega Genisis and more. I haven't heard of any such thing for the PS3. Actually.... because Sony hasn't been in the consol game for very long, they don't have that going for them. Again.... Sony loses.
- Blu-ray - I can get a DVD player that does the exact same thing. OR I can get my hands on that JVC DVD player that plays BOTH Blu-ray and HDDVD so no matter who wins the format wars, I can always be sure that I can go with whatever one is thrown at me. But lets just say Blu-ray loses about a year from now and they stopped making Blu-ray media. Your PS3 is outta luck while I have my leet JVC to save me.
- And lastly.... my spelling and grammer isn't BAD; It's CANADIAN. And also..... it doesn't help the fact that I've been in French Immersion for ages so sometimes my spelling/grammer takes a nose-dive based on ancient habbits. But this is just casual spelling/grammer. For the real pro heavy stuffs, in my English course which EVERYONE in College has to take, I walked out with nearly 100% (A+) in that course. So even THAT argument has fault to it.
- As for the PC, I can at least give you that much. The PC has the ultimate versatility on its' side and will probably always have games for it no matter what.
And now back to the subject at hand - your art! XD That's a nice sketch of Glimmer there. Tee he he he! I really like the expression he has there. Did El Bandito annoy him again? LOL! Nice one! ^^
actually, the PS3 controller does have similar capabilities - albeit not to the same extent as the - wii's. plus... ever heard of an Eyetoy? and such things as Eyetoy Move and Kinetic? the Wii thing has only one thing in its favour. originality in functionality. and how long is that going to last? really? and what? nintendo was there first? Atari was first with a console full stop (i think). where are they now?
that said, I've nothing against others liking it... each to their own i say.
Atari really sunk themselves badly in the 80s. One of the big things that nailed them was the E.T game. While I do have respect for the bravery of the programmer who took it on thinking he could get a functioning game within 5-6 weeks, this really punched Atari where it really shouldn't have been punched. And let's not forget their famous line of "You can put s__t in a box and it will still sell." That was a huge mess for them!
As for EyeToy.... yeah.... heard of it. And I already had a form of "EyeToy" for PC already. I think it was Logitec or HP that put some EyeToyness with one of their webcams before there was an EyeToy. So as you can imagine when I saw it, I was like "Yeah. I have something like that for PC. Next!" All EyeToy is is a type of webcam for the PS-whatever. So you can't really go too far on that argument either. Besides.... what's to say that Nintendo won't come out with something like that in the future or maybe a significantly advanced version of that? They're already deep in to immersive technology.
While Nintendo wasn't the first in immersive technologies, they are, however, the ones for brining it back to light and starting to push it further getting us closer to our holodeck fantasies.
Anyways, BACK TO FIERANO'S art... maybe if you wanna debate this one some more, let's keep it out of his art thread, okay? Or you can drop it here because you know I'm winning this debate *Grins mischeviously and starts poking* Eh? EH? Of course.... I could always bring up another reason why we should put this debate in another thread or end it. Have you ever wondered why they called it nunchuk mode for those Wiimotes..... let me show you..... *Starts waving around her Wiimote in nunchuk mode LIKE nunchuks* EEEEEEYAAHHHHH! BECAUSE THEY'RE TRAINING US TO BE NINJAS! KYAH! *Wacks Fierano and Adrian with her Wiimote Nunchuks* XD
Whoooooo. Human version uploaded. Seriously, I think mine's a lot more faithful a rendition than Kamui's, and I'm really sorry to Lizkay and Suzi if anything on the jumpsuit offends. He is a villain, after all. XD
College Schedule: Monday - 8A-5P, Tuesday/Thursday - 8A-4P, Wednesday 8A-7P (Includes travel and gym time. Free all weekend.)